Thursday, December 10, 2009

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, movie review

Genre: Historical Romance

Release Date: 2004

One Word Review: Breathtaking

Kathy’s Review: Wow! This is one of those situations where the movie is better than the book. I loved this movie (all four hours). I thought the casting of Mr. Thornton was perfect, he did an outstanding job. I’ve heard people compare him to Colin Firth and I have to say Richard Armitage blows him out of the water, in my mind there is no comparison. There were a few scenes that really stood out to me. The first was when Margaret visits the cotton mill for the first time. It was both beautiful and disturbing at the same time. It was so pretty to see all the specks of cotton floating around, and then realizing that those poor workers were having to breath in those fibers and the effect it had on their health was sobering. I loved seeing the mill come to life. I loved the scene where Mr. Thornton proposes to Margaret, you can always tell a man is in love with you when he shouts his proposal! =) And of course I loved the ending, watched it four times. Probably one of the best endings I’ve ever seen. They changed it somewhat from the book and I’m so glad they did. The new ending added so much more to the story and left me with a silly grin on my face. I enjoyed all the changes they made from the book, it made it more enjoyable and really completed the story for me. I will admit, I’m glad I read the book first and after watching the movie it made me like the book even more.

9 comments:

  1. Yep - awesome movie - knew you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about this movie last week and can't wait to watch it! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is just nothing to compare to Mr. Thornton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, for the love of all that is holy, yes! Yes to Armitage blowing Firth out of the water. Yes to her first visit to the mill. Yes to the shouted proposal. LOVE.

    "I believe I have seen hell and it's white, it's snow-white."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this one as well. I love period films. I haven't read the book yet though. Have you seen the movie Wives and Daughters? Also really good and based on a book by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic movie!! Everyone needs to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love this film! It's my comfort movie. I've seen it 3 times already. I haven't read the book yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the movie last month and absolutely loved it. I went out and bought the book, but I haven't had time to read it yet! I agree with you...Mr. Thornton is a great character. I have to admit though that so far I like Richard Armitage a lot better in North and South than in Robin Hood. I am not enjoying him as much in the show.

    It's great to see someone review this for the Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge though! I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!