Thursday, December 10, 2009

Trial of the Heart by Sierra St. James

Genre: Fiction

Publication Date: March 1999

Author's Website: http://www.janetterallison.com/

One Word Review: Enjoyable

First Line: “It was desperation that drove Jamie Young to take a cleaning job with Ms. Hannah’s Helpers.”

Synopsis: Twenty-one year old, Jamie cleans houses to help pay for college. Her first job is working for “cantankerous” Mrs. Walden, who is impossible to please. Despite this, Jamie decides to befriend the old lady in hopes to getting to know her better. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you talk to), Mrs. Walden passes away leaving a substantial inheritance to Jamie. Jamie soon finds herself in quite the legal battle, while at the same time falling for Mrs. Walden’s handsome grandson Clay Bennett.

Kathy’s Review: I could be wrong, but I think this was Janette Rallison’s first published book. I’ve been trying to track down copies of all her books written under the pen-name of Sierra St. James, I have one left to go (Time Riders).

I really enjoyed Trial of the Heart. Like all her other novels, it has an original storyline, lovable characters, witty dialog and memorable moments. This book went by rather fast; I wish it could have been a hundred pages longer so we could really develop the characters and the story. Because of its length I felt like some things weren’t developed as much as they could have been. Jamie is LDS and Clay is not, this added an interesting aspect to the relationship, I was a little worried where this was going to go because I know how difficult relationships can be when partners are from different religions. One thing that was left out in all their religious talks was the morality issue. Since they were dating for so long and coming from such different backgrounds I thought that would have been a main issue facing them, as much as going to church or drinking. But, I realize that’s not really what the book was about.

I really enjoyed the story, as always it was lighthearted and fun. I love Rallison’s books, they’re always a pleasure to read and I’m always sad when they’re over.

3 comments:

  1. You are clearly brilliant.

    Deseret Book is re-releasing Time Riders in July and as a bonus it will have actual editing and grammar correction--as opposed to Cedar Fort which did neither of those things.

    Hope you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any books by this author. This one sounds like a fun read. Cool review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janette-Thanks so much for the comment! If you couldn't tell already, I'm a huge fan.

    I'm excited to hear that Time Riders will be rereleased, I'll try and wait patiently for July to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!