Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, movie review

Genre: Romance

Release Date: 2005

One Word Review: Perfect

Kathy’s Review: I realized last night that it had been awhile since I’ve done a post for the Everything Austen Challenge and decided I would watch one of my favorite movies Pride and Prejudice (the new version). I still remember the first time I saw this movie. My husband and I were visiting our family in Utah and decided to rent P&P. Immediately after it was over (around midnight) I made my husband drive me to Wal Mart so I could buy it.

I love just about everything in this movie. I thought the locations were breathtaking; some scenes could really be made into amazing artwork. The music was also amazing, I own the soundtrack and still listen to it all the time. The acting was great as well as the casting. I’m not a huge fan of Matthew Macfadyen (Mr. Darcy), I still think he did a pretty good job and I think he and Keira Knightly (Elizabeth Bennet) had good chemistry together. I liked that the movie was condensed down to two hours, leaving out some of the less important scenes.

I admit, I’m not really a fan of the Colin Firth version (please don’t hate me). I enjoyed that version, but kind of thought it was too long.

9 comments:

  1. I liked this movie a lot too for the same reasons you said. Breathtakingly beautiful. Didn't like Mathew Macfadyen's portrayal, but it was alright. The only other actor I didn't like was the one who played Mr. Bingley - I've seen him in a movie since though and I really like him in it. All the other actors were an improvement over the one with Colin Firth(love him) - except for maybe Mr. Bennet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this last night myself, and adored it all over again (it must have been my 8th or 9th viewing). I think I do prefer it to the longer version these days...I like instant gratification... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia-I watched it last night as well! What do they say about great minds thinking alike?

    Mary-Mr Bingly wasn't my favorite, but I thought he did a pretty good job portraying the character. I've never seen him in anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dito what has been said! I myself LOVE this version of Pride and Prejudice, and did not understand all the hype about Colin Firth. This is one of my desert island movies...you know where you could only bring 5 movies with you to watch forever. I loved Matthew Macfadyen and think he is a perfect Mr. Darcy. I am happy to see we have yet another thing in commom Kathy:). Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb-this would be an awesome desert island pick!! It is probably one of my top 10 favorite movies, especially in the chick-flick category!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the Colin Firth version, but this one is good in different ways.

    And, WHAT? I love Mr. Bingley in the never version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this movie as well. I thought it was perfect. I'm not the biggest fan of Colin Firth either? Maybe it's the generation older than me that is?:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one really is perfect. I adore it. Went to see it three times in the theater and I NEVER do that. And I love Matthew Macfadyen as Darcy. He's by far my favorite one. I liked Colin Firth a lot, but Macfadyen was just awesome. And finally a truly lovely Jane!

    I like the "new" Bingley, too. He's sweet and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes! The music, the cinematography, the chemistry between Keira Knightley & Matthew MacFadyen... all of it is fabulous. Another of my favorite moives.

    I reviewed the BBC version as part of this challenge... had never seen it before. And I HATED it. People always carry on about Colin Firth and how the BBC version is so wonderful. I couldn't stand it. Firth is adorable but I did not like him as Darcy. At all. Jennifer Ehle was pretty good. But I so very much prefer the 2005 movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!