Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

Genre: Fiction

Publication Date: 1957

One Word Review: Charming

First Line: “Sylvester stood in the window of his breakfast parlous, leaning his hands on the ledge, and gazing out upon a fair prospect.”

Synopsis: “He was every woman's dream but hers . . . Sylvester, the Duke of Salford, is a polished bachelor who has stringent requirements for his future wife -- she must be well-born, intelligent, elegant and attractive. And of course she must be able to present herself well in high society. But when he is encouraged to consider Phoebe Marlow as a bride, Sylvester is taken aback by the coltish woman who seems to resent him . . . When Phoebe runs away, circumstances find the two striking up an unusual friendship. Phoebe discovers that the duke isn't the villian she first thought. And Sylvester stumbles upon something he never dared hope for.” -GoodReads

Kathy’s Review: This is my first Heyer book, which was recommended to me by a new friend on GoodReads (Thanks Deb!). It took me a little while to get into the language and style of the book, but I was soon hooked. The story is told from a few different perspectives, which gives you a good insight into what exactly everyone is thinking. The story did remind me a little of Pride and Prejudice, but Heyer gives it a unique twist. I really liked Phoebe’s character; she isn’t your typical socialite. I enjoyed Sylvester’s character, it took me a while to warm up to him, but in the end I thought they had good chemistry together. It was a fun story and I was sad when it ended. I look forward to reading more of Heyer’s books in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I love Georgette Heyer. Try Cotilion next. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!