Friday, December 4, 2009

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Genre: YA Fiction

Publication Date: June 2009

Author Website: www.aimeefriedmanbooks.com

One Word Review: Underwhelmed

First Line: “The waiting ferryboat—ivory-colored and two-tiered—resembled a slice of cake.”

Synopsis: “16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate. There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality. Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?” -GoodReads

Kathy’s Review: While reading I thought this was a debut author and was surprised to find that she has actually written quite a few other books. The dialog and writing style surprised me. The dialog between the teenagers and mother-daughter just didn’t sound right to me, a little corny or unbelievable maybe. I was disappointed in Miranda’s character; I just didn’t really like her that much. She came across as uptight, judgmental and kind of immature. She did get a little better the second half of the book. I did like Leo though. I thought he was a good leading man, and wished we could have seen him a little more. I have a feeling there will probably be a sequel, so I may read it just to figured out more of Leo’s story. Having said that, I really am not fan of the whole love-at-first-sight thing, where they’ve only talked to each other for ten minutes and know they are meant to be. It’s just a little too quick for my taste. Sure, there can be an attraction, but to be that in love so fast is just unbelievable.

Overall, I didn’t like the book as much as I would have liked

3 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!