Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Genre: YA Fantasy

Publication Date: August 2010

One Word Review: Good

Author Website: www.juliekagawa.com

First Line
: “Why should I trust you?”


GoodReads Synopsis
: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Kathy’s Review: I liked this one a tiny bit less than the first. I’m not sure what it was, but it didn’t grab me like the first book did. I still really enjoyed the story and characters, but maybe it was just middle-book syndrome. I was a little frustrated with Meghan this time around, it was obvious who she was going to choose, but led the other guy on anyway. I really waivered between Team Ash and Team Puck this time. The thing I really like about Puck is that he’s a nice guy, all the pranks aside. He’s known and been friends with Meghan for a long time and they have a great foundation. I’m not sure what he sees in her romantically though, they seem more like friends or siblings. Ash has the whole brooding, handsome thing going for him. I think deep down he is a softy and has a good heart, but he has to put on a mean face. Which brings me to what really bothered me with Meghan. At the beginning she tells Ash that she trusts him, and yet when that trust is put to the test she totally doubts him. She’s spent enough time with him that she should know his motivations, but acts all confused when he acts different around his family. I can understand why she had some doubts, but when she made such a big deal about trusting him I was hoping to see that trust put into action.

The overall story was still entertaining and kept me reading. I liked seeing our old friend Grim and a few new ones. There is a scene near the end that seemed a little out of place with everything going on (high school prom), it was still a fun read and has me looking forward to the last book, The Iron Queen.


Bookworm Rating: 4


Reading Order:
Book One: The Iron King
Book 1.5: Winters Passage
Book Two: The Iron Daughter
Book Three: The Iron Queen

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a good book, but I hate characters who waver back and forth between guys. I much prefer the heroine to just make up her mind! Does the love triangle make up a large part of the book?

    By the way, I love your Austen couples & North and South pictures on your sidebar. I'm especially glad you included Emma and Mr. Knightly. They're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!