Saturday, February 4, 2012

Slayers by CJ Hill

Synopsis: Dragons exist. They’re ferocious. And they’re smart: Before they were killed off by slayer-knights, they rendered a select group of eggs dormant, so their offspring would survive. Only a handful of people know about this, let alone believe it – these “Slayers” are descended from the original knights, and are now a diverse group of teens that includes Tori, a smart but spoiled senator’s daughter who didn’t sign up to save the world.The dragon eggs have fallen into the wrong hands. The Slayers must work together to stop the eggs from hatching. They will fight; they will fall in love. But will they survive?

Review: I knew this book was going to be totally different from the author’s other published work for her to take on a pseudonym, so I was able to go into it with an open mind and not expect something like she’d written in the past. ended up enjoying this one and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

It wasn’t that long ago that the word “dragon” would totally turn me off from reading a book. Not sure why, but I had no interest in them. I think it was Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George that changed my mind. Ever since then I have really enjoyed dragon lore. CJ Hill did a great job with her dragon mythology, I thought it was believable and I enjoyed how she worked dragons into a modern day setting. I liked our main character Tori. I liked that in her world she was accomplished at everything she tried, but once she reached camp things change and she was now the bottom of the pack. I like that kind of humbling. While she is still awesome, she still has a lot of room left for improvement. I suppose you could say there is a bit of a love-triangle, but personally I didn’t feel any chemistry with either guy and I’m crossing my fingers for a third option.

I did feel that the book was a little slow, and may have suffered a bit from being the first book in a series. I don’t mind reading trilogies, but like when each book in a series could almost stand on its own. I think the only reason I liked this one so much was because I knew there would be more to come. If it was a standalone book I wouldn’t have enjoyed it nearly as much.

Overall, I did really like it. I don’t think there is anything this author could write that I would not love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!