Sunday, July 8, 2012

UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn

Synopsis:
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crushes life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it's next fairytale victim. To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

Review:
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I had seen a few good reviews and it was free for my Kindle so I thought I’d give it a try. I love fairy tales and thought it was fun to see how they were interwoven into this story. Mina was a likable heroine. She was special, but didn’t know it yet. Her mom to try and protect her had tried to encourage her to NOT stand out. Mina always thought she was a klutz and didn’t mind not being noticed. Then one day on a field trip she saved the hottest guy in school, Brody, from falling over a railing. By saving Brody she sets forth a chain of events that literally changes her life. It turns out that Mina is related to the Brothers Grimm, and the fairy tales from their stories are real. Mina has to live each of the fairy tales and complete the stories in order to break a curse on her family.

I liked the side characters, Nan, Brody, Jared and little Charlie. I think there is a lot more going on with Nan that what we’re given and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with her in future books. I liked Brody, a lot. At times it did feel that he talked and acted a lot older than sixteen, but he was still really likable. I was surprised by how his story played out. Jared was interesting. I wasn’t sure if there was supposed to be a love-triangle and I’m not sure which side Jared is on. I’m curious to see what happens with him in future books. I think I’m still on Team Brody though, even though I don’t know what will happen with him now.

I thought the book was well written; I got sucked in and thought it flowed well. I admit, some of the POV changes were a little choppy. We’d be in Mina’s head and then suddenly in Brody’s, for like a paragraph, and then back in Mina’s. I think the transitions could have been a little better. I actually, for once, did like hearing things from Brody, Nan and Jared’s POV.

Overall, if you like fairy tales you’ll enjoy this one. I think it will be a fun series and I look forward to reading more. I liked the cover and I also liked that it was clean!

Content: Clean. A bit of fairy tale violence.

Reading Order:
Book One: Unenchanted
Book Two: Fairest

1 comment:

  1. I have this book, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

    Kathryn @ Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!