Monday, July 9, 2012

Fairest by Chanda Hahn

Synopsis:
In the sequel to UnEnchanted, Mina Grime discovers that all is not fair when it comes to the Fae and their tales, especially when they don’t all play by the rules. Barely surviving the Story’s first fairy tale quest, Mina still has hundreds to go before she can end the curse on her family. But a new player arises to challenge Mina while new rules revamp the game she has just barely begun to understand.
All the while, people are mysteriously disappearing, including Jared, whom Mina must finally determine to be friend or foe. And with the loss of her greatest weapon, Mina must try to outwit a deadly hunter. Can Mina survive the most difficult quest yet while protecting those she loves from falling victim to one of the lethal tales of all? Or will she become a pawn when she strikes a bargain with the Queen of Fae?

Review:
Hmm, I think I liked the first book a bit more, but I still enjoyed this one. I think the ending bumped it up a star for me though. It’s been about a month since the last book ended and Mina has completed a few more stories and has built up some confidence. While I like Mina, I got frustrated with her a bit in this one, but at the same time I liked that her “role” in the story wasn’t what she expected. The romance was pretty lacking in this one. I’m not sure who were supposed to be rooting for and admit I was disappointed with Brody’s story. I wonder how all that will work out? I do like that the “love-triangle” (which I use the term lightly) is a bit more unique from most. Both guys were actually absent quite a bit of the story and I missed them. I like both Brody and Jared, although I’m still rooting for a certain one of them to be Mina’s prince charming. While Mina did drive me nuts a couple times, I did like the growth she went through towards the end. I think she is learning from her mistakes and to be careful what she wishes for.

There were some interesting revelations at the end and I look forward to seeing where the story will go. There wasn’t as many POV jumps this time around. I actually kind of missed hearing from Brody and even Jared. I wonder how many books will be in the series, it doesn’t seem like things can get wrapped up in just one more book. I like the story though and wouldn’t mind if it was a bit longer series.

Overall, a good installment. If you liked the first book then I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one as well.

Content: Clean. A bit of fairy tale violence.

Reading Order:
Book One: Unenchanted
Book Two: Fairest
Book Three: TBA

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book and I can't wait for the third one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome book, better than i expected! keep writing!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!