Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sway by Melanie Stanford

SwaySway by Melanie Stanford


3.5

I'm always drawn to retellings of Austen's Persuasion, I guess I can't get enough at the whole second-chance-at-love storyline. I especially love a contemporary reboot like we find here in Sway.

Ava and Eric were high school sweethearts and what felt like soul mates. Like the original version, Ava's family interferes and the two part ways. The book picks up eight years later, Ava just returned from Julliard and Eric is the lead singer in a successful band. The book loosely follows the original, which is fun in a way since I love the original, but it also leaves little room for surprises. Despite the similarities, the author actually does a good job of making this her own and keeping the story fresh.

While I did enjoy the book, it kept me wanting to read, there were a few things I would have liked better. I wanted to feel more between Ava and Eric, one of my favorite things about these kind of plots is seeing the characters fall in love again. Ava and Eric spend a lot of time apart (most of the time Eric is pretty rude to her) and they're both dating others. I would have liked to see them together more, and not just in flashbacks. I'd have liked to see them in the present time relearning things about each other. Both obviously would have been through a lot in the past eight years and changed quite a bit from when they last knew each other as teenagers. So yeah, I liked them and liked their story, but would have liked to have seen them fall in love as adults.

Overall, I thought this was a fun debut and I'll keep a look out for more from Ms. Stanford.

Content
Romance: Clean
Language: None
Violence: None
Religious: None

Source: Amazon



This has been nominated for a 2016 Swoony Award. Share the love and vote for it here.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!