Friday, January 13, 2017

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Enclave (Razorland, #1)Enclave by Ann Aguirre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I remember when this first came out, back in 2011, it catching my eye and being one I wanted to read. I have a personal rule to try and only read series when they're all complete so I set this aside and waited. The trilogy has been done for awhile now and I finally got around to starting it. I'm glad I waited since the first book does end a bit...abruptly. This was really good though, and it sounds like the whole series is pretty consistently good (another good reason to wait for it all to be done, I hate when a series get worse as they go and don't live up to the first book).

I was left with a lot of questions and would have liked a little more background on what happened to cause people to hid out in the subway tunnels and how long they had been surviving down there. (I'm hoping its addressed in future books) Our heroine, Deuce, was born and raised in the tunnels. She is a very strong character, brave and determined. She is also curious and she is quickly realizing that her colony is not all it claims to be. Our hero, Fade, spent his early years living Topside and was forced down tot he tunnels where he met up with Deuces group. They reluctantly took him in, but he's still an outsider. Fade is pretty much doing what he can to survive, while he doesn't agree with how things are run, he knows its better then others. When Deuce and Fade are partnered together a friendship quickly develops. I really liked Deuce and Fade, how they rely on each other and would do anything for each other.

I really enjoyed the setting of this one, first in the tunnels and then as they are forced to move Topside. I especially liked seeing Deuce experience being outside, the vastness of it all and even simple things like seeing the sun for the first time. It was really interesting to read. It is a pretty brutal existence, especially for women. It seems women really got the short end of the stick in this new world. Are really only seen as good for one thing...breeding. Which is another great thing about Deuce, she wants more for herself and is willing to fight for it.

Oh, and I should mention the creatures. Some marked this as a zombie book, I can see where they get that, but the Freaks/Muties/Eaters didn't really seem like your typical zombies, so I'm curious to see what more we learn about them in the next book.

Overall, this was a fun start to a new series. I'm excited to read the next book and see what will happen next.

Content
Romance: Mild, hint of a love triangle
Other: Talk of breeding, rape is alluded too. Nothing overly detailed.
Language: None that I remember
Violence: Mild-moderate, nothing overly descriptive but definitely fighting and bloodshed.
Series: Book 1 of 3, and appears a 4th book (I think a spinoff) is coming out later this year.

Source: Amazon

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!